Google AI
The Times Australia

Times Media

Albanese government to include YouTube in social media ban for under-16s

  • Written by: Michelle Grattan, Professorial Fellow, University of Canberra




The Albanese government has decided to include YouTube accounts in its ban on access to social media for those under the age of 16.

The decision will be controversial with many social media users, especially young people, and face resistance from the company. YouTube, owned by Google, has threatened to sue if it were included in the ban.

The government said in a statement that it was “Informed by advice from the eSafety Commissioner”.

The eSafety Commissioner, Julie Inman Grant, said in her advice[1] to the Minister for Communications Anika Wells last month, “YouTube currently employs persuasive design features and functionality that may be associated with harms to health, including those which may contribute to unwanted or excessive use”.

Apart from YouTube, platforms that will be age restricted are Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, and X, among others.

Platforms will face fines up to $49.5 million if they are found to fail to take responsible steps to prevent underage account holders using them.

Young people would still be able to access YouTube through a search, but would be unable to set up an account.

Argument has raged about whether YouTube should be included in the ban, with those opposed to capturing it arguing it has educational value to younger people.

“YouTube is a video-sharing platform, not a social media service, that offers benefit and value to younger Australians,” a YouTube spokesperson said in its defence.

A range of online gaming, messaging apps, health and education services are being exempted from the ban. “These types of online services have been excluded from the new minimum age obligations because they pose fewer social media harms to under 16s, or are regulated under different laws,” the government said in a statement.

The ban comes into effect on December 10 this year. Age-restricted social media accounts are defined as services that allow users to interact and post material.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said:

Our government is making it clear – we stand on the side of families. Social media has a social responsibility and there is no doubt that Australian kids are being negatively impacted by online platforms so I’m calling time on it.

Social media is doing social harm to our children, and I want Australian parents to know that we have their backs.

Wells said there was no perfect solution to keep people safer online, “but the social media minimum age will make a significantly positive difference to their wellbeing. The rules are not a set and forget, they are a set and support.”

References

  1. ^ her advice (www.infrastructure.gov.au)

Read more https://theconversation.com/albanese-government-to-include-youtube-in-social-media-ban-for-under-16s-262124

Times Magazine

China copied the Falcon 9 formula. Now it has made it work

China has spent years watching SpaceX transform the economics of spaceflight. Now it is beginning...

Tax Deductions Australians Are Missing – and the Claims That Could Land You in Hot Water

Every tax season, Australians tend to fall into one of two camps. There are those who are so nervou...

Camden Valley Inn Opens Its Doors for Couples Planning Their Dream Wedding

Couples are invited to discover one of South-West Sydney’s most picturesque wedding destinations and...

Technology

China copied the Falcon 9 formula. …

China has spent years watching SpaceX transform the economics of spaceflight. Now it is beginning...

Local News

Psychology clinic in Tasmania opens…

In response to Tasmania’s growing mental health crisis, a new purpose-built, multi-disciplinary me...

Culture

Mundi Mundi Bash: You Are Not Just Watching t…

Come to the Mundi Mundi Bash for the music and you soon discover something unexpected: the concert...

Travel

Cairns Esplanade Lagoon — the stage where Cai…

“All the world's a stage.” Shakespeare wasn't writing about Cairns when he penned that famous lin...

The Times Features

Mundi Mundi Bash: You Are Not Just Watching the Show — …

Come to the Mundi Mundi Bash for the music and you soon discover something unexpected: the concert...

World’s Largest Outback Choir rocks the Mundi Mundi Pla…

Thousands of Bashers came together in the world’s biggest outback choir - raising vital funds for ...

Zambrero Rolls Out Australian-First Air-Fried Hot Chips

The country's biggest Mexican food franchise becomes the first to air-fry its hot chips - crisp, gol...