The Times
The Times

What Are The Signs Of A Power Surge?

  • Written by NewsServices.com

Modern electricity is a miracle in many ways. It's enabled us to build the systems and frameworks that keep our society running, and is the centrepiece to delivering the conveniences we enjoy every day. But what happens when you get too much?

In this article, we'll explain power surges, their signs, and what they mean for you.

Understanding Power Surges

A 'power surge' is when the voltage supplied to an electrical device spikes for a very brief period of time. This can be caused by a number of things, including the following.

Bad weather: Lightning strikes are a common cause of power surges. The sudden release of electrical energy from the atmosphere can overload and damage nearby power lines and equipment.

Faulty wiring or equipment: Frayed or damaged wires can cause electrical sparks that lead to power surges. Similarly, malfunctioning electrical equipment can also cause surges.

Power grid problems: If the power grid that supplies your home or business experiences a sudden change in voltage, it can cause a power surge.

Power surges can result in damage to your electrical devices and equipment. In some cases, this damage can be severe enough to cause a fire.

Identifying The Signs Of A Power Surge

A key part of mitigating the impacts of a power surge is knowing how to identify one. Power surges can happen without you knowing, but there are some tell-tale signs to look out for. The following are just a few examples.

Lights Flickering Or Dimming

This is one of the most common signs of a power surge. If you notice your lights flickering or dimming, it could be an indication that the voltage supplied to your home is fluctuating.

Appliances Not Working Properly

Another common sign of a power surge is if your appliances suddenly stop working properly. This can be anything from your television not turning on, to your coffee maker not brewing correctly. If you notice any of your appliances acting up, it could be due to a power surge.

Electrical Shock

In some cases, you may actually feel a power surge. This is usually in the form of a mild electrical shock that you receive when you touch an electrical appliance or switch. If you experience this, it is definitely an indication that there is too much voltage running through your home's electrical system.

What To Do If You Experience A Power Surge

If you notice the signs and believe you are experiencing a power surge, the best thing to do is to shut off all of your electrical appliances and equipment. This will help to prevent further damage. Once you have shut off all of your appliances, you should contact your power company to report the problem. They will be able to investigate and determine if there is an issue with the power grid.

Power surges can be a nuisance, but if you are aware of the signs and know what to do if one occurs, they can be easily dealt with. By equipping yourself with the right knowledge, you can rest assured that you're prepared for anything.