Google AI
The Times Australia

Times Media Advertising

Morrison government sets up redress scheme for survivors of Stolen Generation in territories

  • Written by: Michelle Grattan, Professorial Fellow, University of Canberra

The Morrison government will provide $378.6 million for a new redress scheme for Stolen Generation survivors as part of more than $1 billion for its Closing the Gap implementation plan.

The one-off payments will go to living survivors of the Stolen Generation who were removed as children from their families in the Northern Territory and ACT, which were administered by the Commonwealth at the time, and Jervis Bay Territory. The states are responsible for their own arrangements.

Under the Territories Stolen Generations Reparation Scheme eligible people will be entitled to a payment of $75,000 “in recognition of the harm caused by forced removal” from families, and a $7000 “healing assistance payment … in recognition that the action to facilitate healing will be specific to each individual”.

Survivors will also have the opportunity, if they wish, to confidentially tell the story of the effect of their experience to a senior official, and receive a face-to-face or written apology “for their removal and resulting trauma.”

Applications will open on March 1 and the program will run until June 2026.

Scott Morrison said he was delivering practical action on a long-standing issue that was nationally important. It would improve the health and wellbeing of Stolen Generation survivors and their families and communities, he said.

The Minister for Indigenous Australians, Ken Wyatt, said it “reflects the government’s commitment to recognise and acknowledge the wrongs of the past as part of the nation’s journey to reconciliation”.

Wyatt said supporting intergenerational healing was key to the government’s commitment to Closing the Gap.

The government, with Indigenous leaders, previously re-worked the Closing the Gap program, originally set up under Labor.

The implementation plan also includes an additional $254.4 million towards infrastructure for Aboriginal community-controlled health organisations.

There will be $160 million to help give Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children “the best start in life” through initiatives such as the Healthy Mums and Healthy Bubs program, the Community Child Care Fund, the Connected Beginnings Program and the Early Years Education Program.

Beginning next year the federal government will produce an annual report on progress to deliver on its plan.

In addition, funding will be provided to Aboriginal community-controlled organisations to assist families resolve post-separation parenting and property disputes. Support will be also provided to these organisations to increase involvement in Indigenous family support services.

Read more https://theconversation.com/morrison-government-sets-up-redress-scheme-for-survivors-of-stolen-generation-in-territories-165617

Times Magazine

Australians Are Keeping Their Cars Longer — And It’s Changing The Market

Australia’s car market is undergoing a subtle but important transformation. People are keeping th...

Streaming Fatigue: Australians Overwhelmed By Subscriptions

Streaming was once supposed to simplify entertainment. Instead, many Australians now feel overwhe...

Why Shopping Centres No Longer Feel Exciting

There was a time when going to the shopping centre felt like an event. Families spent entire Satu...

Harry And Meghan: Less Powerful As Royals, More Powerful As Content

For all the claims of “Harry and Meghan fatigue”, the world’s media still cannot stop talking abou...

Surprising things Aussies do to ‘manifest’ winning a dream home as Australia’s biggest ever prize unveiled

Dream Home Art Union has unveiled its biggest prize in its 70-year history supporting veterans - a...

A Beginner’s Guide To Louis Vuitton: The Style, The Products And The Global Obsession

Luxury fashion can sometimes appear intimidating to newcomers. The terminology, the prices, the bo...

The Times Features

Property Paralysis: Buyers Hesitate As Australia’s Hous…

Australia’s property market may still be active, but beneath the auctions, listings and glossy rea...

The Return Of Practical Luxury: Buyers Want Quality Aga…

For years, consumer culture revolved around speed and abundance. Fast fashion.Fast furniture.Fast...

People Are Going Out Less — And Businesses Know It

Restaurants are full on some nights. Concerts still sell tickets. Sporting events attract crowds. ...

Why Shopping Centres No Longer Feel Exciting

There was a time when going to the shopping centre felt like an event. Families spent entire Satu...

The Liberal Party Faces Its Greatest Question Since Men…

When Robert Menzies founded the Liberal Party of Australia in the aftermath of World War II, Austr...

The Noise Around the 2026 Federal Budget Does Not Match…

Every time the government changes the rules around property investment, the same thing happens. Ph...

Hollywood’s Summer Spectacle Is Heading To Australia

American cinemas are entering one of the biggest blockbuster summers in years, and Australian audi...

Lasagne Takes Centre Stage at Chiswick Woollahra This W…

  This winter, Chiswick is launching a Lasagne Series, bringing together chefs from across the Solo...

WEST HQ WHAT’S ON

From major sporting moments and immersive family experiences to standout dining and world-class live...